It's all in the stars

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Sometimes it's Just Nice

Last night we started to put up some Christmas decorations so we could be a little festive for our party today. It's not a Christmas party, but it is just a different mood when the lights are twinkling. I was getting so excited with each new Christmas decoration I discovered that I forgot about. I really can't wait to put our Christmas tree, but that's going to be early next week that we do that...

On my way to work this morning I stopped at Wawa to get some coffee and breakfast and witnessed a scene that brought me back to some icidents I experienced working at a bagel shop every summer. One of the older workers there that is usually taking care of the coffee section, came out from behind the counter and was cleaning up a different area. One of the customers came in and they seemed to know each other just from this customer being there on a regular basis. The customer brought in a winter hat with some team's logo on it (not sure the significance, but there must be one) and said "I thought you'd like this....just wanted to say thanks". The employee put down what he was carrying to shake his hand and you could see the genuine gratitude on his face. After the customer left the store, the employee went back behind the counter and turned to another employee and said "look at what one of the customers just gave me!"

When I used to work at the bagel shop for years, I had a slew of customers that I would consider "regular". I got to know them and a lot of times, even though there was a general tip jar, they would slide me something, "just for me". I enjoyed working there because I found it to be fun just to be friendly to people and chat with the "regulars". A few of them went above and beyond to say thank you, and it always felt good just to be thanked...

I smiled when I saw this interaction this morning, knowing what it feels like when someone goes out of their way to say thank you. Don't underestimate the power of a thank you, it really does make someone feel appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home