It's all in the stars

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A BLAST FROM THE PAST

Usually at some point in the day, you can usually find a coach who is running out to Wawa for something and will often grab something for me if I'm having the craving. Today, I just asked for a "blue" gatorade (so I didn't have to get one out of the vending machine).

It was a different "blue" kind then I've normally been drinking, and when I took a sip, I had this major flashback to Cross Country and track in high school. On days I would have a meet, my parents would usually bring me a gatorade for afterwards and most often, it was "blue". It was just so crazy overwhelming to have that feeling.

I think it's such a curious part of the human body in the way the brain works to associate a smell, taste, sound, sight, etc. to a memory in your past. This happens often with me with all of the senses. I'd say that this happens the most with me when I hear a certain song. For example, when I hear "Because you Loved me" by Celine Dion, I immediate think of the last dance of the winter formal my sophomore year. I went to the dance with a guy who at the time I was really good friends with and we just had a great time, no strings attached.

On certain days in the summer, the ocean will smell a certain way that brings me back to being young and being at the beach with my family in the summer. I can't even explain the smell, but it's this overwhelming mixture of salt, sand, the air...and I just drift back to being in the ocean with my family.

I think it's an awesome thing our brains do for us so that we CAN remember our past. There are some of those times we will never forget and some we want to, yet our brain can remind us with a song, whiff of the ocean, seeing something that catches our eye, and we drift back to that time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home