It's all in the stars

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Emotional Toughness

One quality I certainly lack in my life is my emotional toughness when it comes to certain things. This has been the way I have been my whole life. Instead of reacting the way some people do to certain situations by being angry, I most likely can't control the tears from creeping out.

...Sadly to admit, I can remember a time when I was embarrassed to fart, yes fart, around my family. This is a story my dad likes to bring up from time to time to embarrass me. I was probably about 12 or so, farted in the living room while everyone was in there, and being the natural reaction, everyone laughed. Not me, I cried and ran to my room mortified. While I don't cry anymore, I laugh, I am still a big ole' baby when it comes to my emotional toughness.

I feel that I am a strong person, but react weakly in certain situations. I tried so hard today not to get upset over something that happened at work, but I had to walk away and let the tears creep out on my own.

In the professional sense, I know I need to work on this. However, how do you change the way your body/mind reacts if its done that its whole life. I can honestly tell you I try not to cry, I really do. I tell myself to calm down, handle it, but even when I do that, I often get a few to squeek out.

Now that I've had time to digest the situation, I should have been more angry than upset. That is the case now...but instead, I got upset earlier.

The way some people explain it, I care too much. To me, I just think I need to get mad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home